Most common question is web design and development are same or not.
I was also confused about the same because I was thinking that there is no difference between web design and web development. But I was wrong.
Because I found very important differences between both.
Website is the brand value of any business. They resolve your problems of scaling these days.
But a website designer or developer in initial stage not sure about the difference between website design and development.
In the early learning stage of web development, everyone confuses about that “what is the difference between web development and web design?”, is web development and web design is same?
I am going to answer this question in short with reasons,
No, web development and web design are not same.
Web design is a different role than web development. In this post, I am going to answer “what is web design vs web development” actually is. So read till the last.
As you know already that Design is the look and feel. Web designers give a sense of your business into a visual design and they make design layout From the user perspective of the business for which design they are doing.
For example: A car designer design a car model or an architect design a house plan before start building any car or house respectively.
Similarly, a web designer creates a model of the layout before a web developer can start developing it.
A web designer has a tough role because they need to integrate best user experience.
They need to build a design which encourage users and catches users’ attention.
A website is not looking professional if a proper design is not implemented into the early stage of the project or initial level of the project before its implementation.
Nowadays, website designers have the same importance as web developers because without good UX design development can not make a project great alone.
Web designers first start with a scope- according to purpose and focus of the website they offer.
Then they make a sketch or draft of the design and move to wireframes, mockups and then a final design will be ready.
Professional designer also makes pixel perfect websites with perfect layout for all web pages, fonts and icons.
Roles of a web designer:
1. Adobe photoshop Expert
2. Graphic design and logo Design
3. User experience or UX designer
4. Web designer need to keep themselves up to date with latest design trends.
5. Branding of website, color palettes, font selection is also the part of web designers.
Web development is the process of convert website designs into real websites. This is the main difference between web designers and developers.
Web developer’s user different type of web languages and tools to develop a design into functional website.
Now website developers further have divided into 2 Parts:
1. Front-end Developer: A Front-end developer is the main connection between web designers and web developers because Front end developer is the one who builds the interface, and provides the layout as the interaction between the back-end of the website and the user.
Front end developers use 3 main languages:
With these 3 languages, a developer is able to create a website from main design layout to inserting images and applying fonts, the flow of different pages, forms interfaces and more.
2. Back-end Developer
Back-end developers are those who plays with server. Only Dynamic websites need back-end services.
For example: Form submission, saving an article for your blog page and more.
These types of functionalities need a database and server-side languages.
Backend developers uses Server scripting Languages such as
3. Write database queries by SQL or MYSQL.
Main roles of a Web Developer are which differentiate a web designer and developer are :
1. Building the actual interface for user interaction of a website. This is the Job of Front-end developers.
2. Front-end developers can use frameworks like bootstrap to fasten the process.
3. Front-end developers provide the markup design to back-end developers, so they can implement a dynamic website and submit all the required data on the server and databases.
4. Back-end developers create the backend of the website with php and MySQL.
5. Web developers also use versioning tools like GitHub etc.
6. A web developer can also use Content management systems like WordPress, Magento.
7. Payment method integration like PayPal , authorize.net, Paytm etc. is the job of Web Developer.
Full-stack developers are those who have a good knowledge about all the roles.
Means web design, front-end development and back-end development. They develop website from scratch.
So as described above in this post web designers is the role where we need to create a design according to scope from scratch. Learn web development at home.
And that design will be handover to the front-end developer.
The interface created by Front-end developers is handover to the back-end developers. Back-end developers create clean code on the server to user interaction between server and database.
Example like form submission, login, logout, registration, user data, graphs etc.
There is also a Role of Full-stack developer who is single person is responsible for all three roles of web designer, front-end developer and back-end developer.
Full stack developers not need to be expert but they have basic knowledge of all these 3 roles.
I hope you got the clear idea about the difference between web designer and developer.